Joint Commission on Rural Rnstucdon, Taipei Taiwan China. Japanes encephalitis is a serious public health patbiem in Taiwan. Human brings may suffer from this disease through the lit of mcxsquitces which siati the bkxd of J. E inlet swine. In order c investigate the degr of infeotion among swine. 6,’))) heads of swine in 15 pxefcnnes were blood ti on their HI tine of Japanese encephalitis afr the simple yet reliabiefilter-papermethcdofDL K Nobuta The work was carried out from last year (1966) and the result ale summarit as following:
A.The lint group of 3,000 swine tested were born in the period of Mardi to August 1966 (covered summer revealed that:
1. Theaveragepositiverateis 55.7%.
2. Positiveateishitinthoseswrlie;thus9l.9%bcaninMarch;75.5% bce-n in Axil; 66.8% in May; 63.2% in June; 62.1% in July and 40.4% in Augusg.
3. No much difference of pcxsitive rate among different breeds of swine
B.The second group of 3,000 swine tested were born in the period of Movember 1966 to February 1%? (summer season not covered) and they were blood tested on April 1 to 15,1%?. It was revealed that:
1. The average positive rate is 18.9%, much lower than that of the first group (summer season covere:1).
2. The highest rate is also in Hsinchu, 62.8% 3.Even in winter time, when mosques areless actve, the rateis stillaxound20%.
C.Two species of mosquitoes were found to be the important vectors of Japanese encephalitis in Taiwan. Culex tritaeniorhynchus lives mainly in south area.